Image Map

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Adventures in the Kitchen

This summer we decided to participate in a CSA (community supported agriculture) vegetable box group. I would love to have a garden and grow my own veggies, but our yard is far from ideal for growing anything at the moment. And while I like to shop at our local farmers market in the summer, we felt that we could get more bang for our buck by participating in a CSA. 

The farm where our produce comes from is in Indiana. It's actually an Amish family who runs the farm. This week we got our first of 20 boxes for the summer and I am SO excited for some super fresh veggies! We will also be receiving 10 fruit boxes throughout the summer - but this week was not a fruit box week. 

Want to see what we got??


In the box this week we got lettuce, spinach, mint, rhubarb, green onions, zucchini, asparagus, cucumber and some home made sweet dill pickles (the farmer said he added them to help fill up the box since its early in the growing season - and they are SO yummy!) I have to say that I was very impressed by each item in the box - no yucky spots on anything! 

One reason I'm excited for these veggie boxes is to stretch myslef to try new foods and new recipes. Sometimes I get in a rut of buying the same things at the grocery store week after week. In the next weeks I'm planning on sharing some of the ways we use our produce. 

This afternoon I used some of the mint leaves and a slice of lime to add some flavor to my water bottle! 
And I'm baking some gluten free rhubarb apple bars...recipe to come...if they turn out.

Have you ever participated in a CSA group? 

3 comments:

  1. I don't think we have anything like this in our area. Would be nice though.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a member of one & LOVED it... it was always so exciting to see what was in it.
    I had to be aware to watch the lettuces... there was always bugs in them :) But good way to show it was organic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea and so wish we had something like that in our area. We do have a Farmer's Market but, even it is not all that special. Happy adventures in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete