Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

Adventures in Products: BirchBox Aug



I didn't take a picture of my box because it looked disgusting from one of the products spilling...more on that to come. But here is the picture of my box from the Birchbox website.

per-fékt Beauty Lash Perfection Gel

What Birchbox says: The high-tech gel formula combines a flattering black pigment with a nourishing cocktail of ingredients to prime, condition, darken, and lengthen your lashes. The non-allergenic formula is made without sulfates, parabens, or artificial fragrances.
What I say: There was really barely enough in the container to coat my lashes - it was such a small sample! What I did get out of the tube, went on silky smooth, and did make my lashes look longer. I like the non-allergenic formula because I wear contacts and some mascaras will bother my eyes. 


Caldrea Hand Soap

What Birchbox says: Made with ethically-sourced aloe vera gel, olive oil, and essential oils, the soaps are formulated to soften and purify without drying out skin. 
What I say: My hands did feel soft and not dried out, but I was not a huge fan of the fragrance. I got 2 samples of lavender pine (If they are putting 2 in the box would it hurt to let me try 2 different fragrances?!) and it was way more pine than lavender...I kinda felt like I smelled like a lumber jack! 


Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur

What Birchbox says: The sheer perfume has the original’s fruity top notes combined with heady honeysuckle, gardenia, and jasmine. 
What I say: Fragrance AGAIN! Do they ever send out boxes without perfume in them?! Again, not the smell for me, to floral...


DDF® Brightening Cleanser

What Birchbox says: Developed by a leading dermatologist, the targeted formula uses a team of natural skin brighteners, including licorice root and mulberry bark, to even out your complexion and lighten discolorations. Over time, you’ll have noticeably smoother, brighter skin. 
What I say: Well this was the one item I was really excited to try...but when I opened my box I discovered that the contents had leaked all over everything. Boo. I have contacted Birchbox to get a replacement...but I have never had this happen before and I don't really know if they do things like that. (Any advice fellow birchboxers?)


Schick Hydro Silk Razor

What Birchbox says: It has a water-activated moisturizing serum that moisturizes for up to two hours after shaving. Plus, the five blades have skin guards that follow the natural contours of your body to smooth skin and help prevent irritation. 
What I say: I enjoyed having a new razor. It worked great, however I still needed to put lotion on my legs when I got out of the shower. There was a $4 off coupon on the packaging that I will probably use when the blade on this one gets dull.  


Overall opinion: Even if the cleanser had not spilled all over everything, I still would have been slightly disappointed in the August box. The best item was the razor and that was an 'extra'. I'm still waiting to see if I will receive a replacement cleanser...

11 comments:

  1. I got the exact same box, and the exact same mess when I opened it. I hadn't thought about emailing them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the Monday Meet Up :)

    Lovely Blog!

    xoxo
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so disappointed in my box, I can't even review it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww man, that really sucks that you had such a bad box. They have great customer service so hopefully you will be getting a new box soon.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popped in from Monday Meet Up ~ nice products!

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hopefully they send you a replacement! i really like that cleanser!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, that is a bummer about the spillage! I bet they will send a replacement! I really liked the razor too, but I feel like when I rinsed my legs the "moisturizer" came right off so I had to lotion too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the box ooopps! I've been sort of bummed out with my boxes mainly because I've been so picky about what products I use being pregnant. Your skin absorbs so many chemicals on a daily basis anyways, that I've really been aware of what I've used. This box made me happy mainly because I can use everything in it! I'd never heard of the facial cleanser, but thats the whole joy of getting a birchbox every month. Read through your blog and I think its cute, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That STINKS about the DDF stuff spilling! I've never had that happen but if their customer service is decent they should definitely replace it. My box wasn't great either - if I hadn't gotten the Stila liner I would have been ticked. I loved the Yu-Be cream but like your lash sample, the sample was teeny tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have great customer service {in my experience!} so hopefully the remedy the situation quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope they replace the cleanser! I've never heard of lash gel! that sounds awesome! And I super agree about perfumes and floral! ick!

    ReplyDelete