Image Map

Friday, August 24, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Zucchini Brownies


In case you missed this the other day when I guest posted for Scattered Thoughts of A Crafty Mom, here is my zucchini brownie recipe!
Yep, you read that right!
I used this
to make this

Trust me, they are so yummy, and no one will believe you when you tell them they are eating vegetables!
Ingredients:
Brownie:
3 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk chocolate chips (optional)


Frosting:
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup butter (melted)
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
Step 2: Shred zucchini. I pealed my zucchini first, but you can leave the peel on if you would like. I used the shredder attachment of my food processor. When you measure the 3 cups of zucchini, be sure to press it down in the measuring cup. 

Step 3: In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in zucchini and chocolate chips. The mixture will be dry. (Don't worry, the zucchini will make the brownies moist when in is baking!)
Step 4: Press batter evenly into the pan.

Step 5: Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the 350 degree oven.

Frosting Directions: To make the frosting, mix together melted butter and cocoa powder and set aside to cool. In the bowl of your mixer, blend together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

If you like zucchini but are not a huge chocolate fan, you can check out my other dessert using zucchini
OR
Last night I just sliced some zucchini and tossed it with a little olive oil, season salt and basil. Then I sauteed it for a few minutes - until it was slightly cooked but not floppy. Remove from heat and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top - YUM!
What is your favorite way to eat zucchini?

20 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! And a great way to trick the picky toddler into eating his veggies! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these. I'm not much of a zucchini girl, but I'm definitely a chocolate girl. If my eyes see chocolate, maybe my brain will forget about the zucchini?! Going into the to-do list. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, that looks sooooo tasty!
    I am going to find some zucchini....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like zucchini and brownies. I cannot wait to try it together next week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! And you really can't taste the zucchini in the brownies?? I will have to sneak them to my husband since he doesn't eat enough veggies. ;) New follower!

    Rachel
    http://www.postcardsfromrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound like a great way to sneak in some veggies on my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just bought a zucchini this morning. Can't wait to try these brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look amazing! I'm going to have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look absolutely delish. I love zucchini and chocolate. Both of them together? Can't wait! Thanks for sharing. Love from your newest GFC follower, Whimsically Homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do enjoy zucchini bread. This looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love zucchini bread so I am anxious to try your zucchini brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! This sounds delish! My hubby saw the picture and now I have to make them hehe

    I would love it if you linked this up at my link party! You can find it here:

    http://thewellcraftedhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/well-crafted-wednesdays-18-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok! I'm definitely going to try these. I'm making them this week!!! Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love dessert that hide veggies!!! These brownies look so good, so fudgy and rich!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a HUGE fan of sneaking in veggies to yummy foods. I wouldn't tell anyone though...especially my hubby. He'd get grossed out...worse than my 3 year old! Thank you for sharing at our
    Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to try them out! I'm sure I have plenty of courgettes at my allotment just waiting to be turned into brownies

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot wait to try this. my 5 yr old loves to bake every weekend and this is a great way to sneak in a veggie!! love it!
    Hugs!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy!! I love putting a veggie in dessert! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loooooove zucchini but I've never had this! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for linking up at What's Cluckin

    ReplyDelete